Mississippi Valley State University
Public Broadcasting and Media Productions
WVSD 91.7 FM
WVSD 91.7 FM is a 24-hour public educational radio station operating under the auspices of the Office of Public Broadcasting/Media Productions at Mississippi Valley State University. Funded primarily through the U. S. Department of Education Title III Program and with state funds, the main mission of the Office of Public Broadcasting is to train students for careers in the broadcast industry. The campus radio station broadcasts and webcasts mainly inspiration, jazz, blues, rhythm and blues music within a 30-40 mile radius of the MVSU campus. The radio station features several public affairs programs, most of which are produced by communications students from the university. WVSD also broadcasts and webcasts the university’s major athletic competitions via the MVSU Sports Network. Web casts can be heard by visiting www.mvsu.edu, click the WVSD Logo or MVSU Radio/WVSD 91.7 links under About MVSU or Campus Life.
CartWorks Automated System
Functions: Train students on state-of-the-art equipment; continuous programming with minimal personnel; expansion of programming; and programming can be keyed in computer for at least two weeks in advance of broadcasting.
MVSU Sports Network
Broadcast and web cast ALL football games; SWAC basketball games (men/women); select baseball and softball games, and SWAC Tournament games.
Underwriter spots are solicited for broadcast games.
Web Cast site: www.mvsu.edu, click the WVSD Logo or MVSU Radio/WVSD 91.7 links under About MVSU or Campus Life.
- MVSU Sports Network
- Broadcasts and web casts of Football, Basketball, Baseball, Softball,
- Live Broadcasts
- Wireless system allows WVSD to broadcasts live programs from H. G. Carpenter and other areas where there are accessible telephone lines; or from areas where cell phone reception is uninterrupted.
- The Echo
- Specific Function: 15-30-minute public affairs show designed to feature university guests
- Air Time-Varies
- Hosts: Darwin Cannon, Wanda Young
- Specific Function: 1-hour sports talk show covering levels of various sports
- Air Times: 1 hour prior to broadcasts/web casts of MVSU games
- Hosts: Jamal Keith (Host), Brandon Robinson (Co-Host), and Zantrell Brown, Ricky Dixon, James Carter (Analysts)
- Mississippi Gospel Artists Show
- Specific Function: 1-hour inspirational show featuring gospel artists with Mississippi origins
- Air Times: Friday, 9 a.m., Sunday 7 p.m.
- Host: Darwin Cannon
NPR Public Radio Satellite Interconnection Agreement
WVSD has received NPR’s Content Depot component since April 2006. Installation was May 13, 2006.
Earth Wise 10:30 a.m.
New Inspiration for the Nation, 2:00 p.m.
The Spin, 2 p.m.
Fifty-one Percent, 11 a.m./6 p.m.
Beale Street Blues, 8 p. m.
Friends of the Blues, 10 p.m.
Health in a Heartbeat, 10:30 a.m., 2:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m., 8:30 p.m.
Blues Times in the City (Rojene Bailey, Host, Blues), 10 p.m.
The Sheryl Underwood Show (Sheryl Underwood, Host, Variety) 11 a.m.
From the Press Box to Press Row (Donal Ware, Host, Sports), Noon