Veteran Affairs Services


Veterans who have had a minimum combination of six (6) months basic training and military service in the regular Armed Services, or at least two semesters in an approved ROTC program at the college level, may receive a waiver for the basic physical education activity requirements. Upon receipt and approval of documentation, two semester hours of credit will be placed on the veteran's record with a grade of “P.”

Veterans Information/Benefits

In addition to benefits payable under Chapter 30, Chapter 31, Chapter 32, Chapter 34, Chapter 35, and Chapter 1606, Chapter 33 (Post-9/11 GI Bill®) has been added. The Post - 9/11 GI Bill® is our country's investment in the deserving men and women who have defended our nation since 9/11. It provides eligible veterans with tuition payments to assist in achieving a college education. In many instances, it also provides a housing allowance while they're studying. It allows members of the Armed Forces to transfer these benefits to dependents. For more information regarding eligibility for benefits under Chapter 33, the new comprehensive education benefits package since the original GI Bill®. You may find out more at

Students receiving veterans’ benefits must comply with the same University rules and regulations as other students. Any student receiving veterans benefits who is placed on academic probation for a given semester will be required to carry a reduced load the following semester and is expected to achieve a 2.0 cumulative average or above at the end of that period. If the student fails to raise his/her grade point average during this probationary period, the Veterans Administration (VA) will be notified that the student has ceased to make satisfactory academic progress.

Students receiving veteran benefits should advise the University Veterans’ Coordinator (Certifying Official) in the Office of Student Records/University Registrar of any changes in enrollment, including drops, adds, or changes in schedule. Any change in status from the last certification of the VA is reported promptly. Instances of unsatisfactory academic progress and unscheduled interruptions will also be reported to the VA. Persons entitled to veterans educational benefits may write directly to the Veterans Administration Regional Office in their respective states, or to the Veterans’ Coordinator, Office of Student Records/University Registrar, Mississippi Valley State University, MVSU 7264, 14000 Highway 82 West, Itta Bena, MS 38941-1400, Telephone Number: 662-254-3321 or 662-254-3326, Fax: 662-254-3325.

Transfer Articulation Agreement

Mississippi Valley State University (MVSU) participates in the Transfer Articulation Agreement between Mississippi Institutions of Higher Learning and Mississippi State Board of Community and Junior Colleges. Designated transfer courses may be viewed here in the  Articulation Agreement.

Click here for the Mississippi Articulation and Transfer Tool (MATT)

Please be informed that:

  • You can view transfer credits and MVSU equivalences via the Banner Web.
  • To access the Banner Web, logon to, click on enter here, then click Enter Secure Area. Using your User ID and regular PIN, login to the Student Self Service Portal, then click on Student Records that leads to the link to access Academic Transcripts.
  • Transfer credits are calculated in hours attempted and earned.
  • The institution does not award credit for experiential learning or professional certificates.

If you have questions regarding your transfer credits and their equivalences, please contact:

Mr. Rasaan Vance (662) 254-3762 or

Ms. Letitia Clay (662) 254-3323

For further assistance, please contact Mr. Jeffery Loggins, Director/University Registrar at (662) 254-3326.



Q: I may be eligible to attend Mississippi Valley State University (MVSU) using VA Benefits. Who do I need to contact for this information?

A: Mississippi Valley State University serves a population of veteran students. The Office of Student Records Veterans’ Coordinator has been tasked by MVSU to serve veterans who are using Veteran Administration (VA) Educational Benefits to pursue college degrees. For additional information, you may contact the Veterans’ Coordinator located in the Office of Student Records, Administration Annex I Building. The telephone number is (662) 254-3321.

Q: What do I need to do to get my educational benefits started at MVSU?

A: The first step is to apply for admission to the University. Once you are accepted, you would need to contact the Veterans’ Coordinator in the Office of Student Records/University Registrar at MVSU to secure the application to start a file.

Q. How do I start a file in the Veterans’ Coordinator Office?

A. You may visit the Veterans’ Coordinator Office in the Office of Student Records/University Registrar located in the William W. Sutton Administration Building, First Floor, Suite 180-181 and pick up an application for benefits or you may contact the Coordinator at (662) 254-3321 or (662) 254-3326.

Q. Do I need to bring any paperwork with me?

A. If you are a veteran and eligible for Chapter 30, Montgomery G.I. Bill®, you need to bring your DD-214. If you are eligible for Chapter 1606, Montgomery G.I. Bill® – Reservists/National Guardsmen, bring a Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE), DD-2384 form. This form may be obtained from the Educational Officer in your unit.

Q. How can I find out if I have any benefits left?

A. Contact the US Department of Veteran Affairs at 1-888-442-4551 or you may visit the website at for directions and instructions.

Q. How can I continue my educational benefits each semester?

A. You must notify the MVSU Veteran Coordinator each semester that you wish to request educational benefits.

Q. When should I re-certify each semester for educational benefits?

A. As soon as you are registered for classes for the semester/term.

Q. Can I take any course that I want?

A. The Department of Veterans Affairs requires that a student who uses educational benefits to pursue a degree must follow a curriculum plan or guide. Therefore, you must follow that plan and only take courses that will lead to graduation under that plan.

Q. What happens to my benefits if I am on probation or academically suspended or dismissed from MVSU?

A. MVSU has minimum GPA requirements for academic good standing. Failure to maintain the required GPA will result in academic probation. You will remain eligible for VA educational benefits for two periods of probation.

Q. How do I know if my courses earned from another school will transfer?

A. Mississippi Valley State University (MVSU) participates in the Transfer Articulation Agreement between Mississippi Institutions of Higher Learning and Mississippi State Board of Community and Junior Colleges.  Designated transfer courses may be view in the Articulation Agreement.