The Student Couseling Office and staff are located in the H.G. Carpenter Building. Click here for hours of operation.
Student Counseling Center - Mission
In keeping with Mississippi Valley State University’s mission, the Student Counseling Center provides assistance to students in clarifying and realizing educational, career, and personal goals. The primary mission of the Student Counseling Center is to provide direct counseling and related services to students at the University. Students are assisted in working through social, emotional and academic issues so that success can be attained at Mississippi Valley State University. The Student Counseling Center is funded 100 percent by Title III.
How do I know if I need Counseling?
Everyone needs someone to talk with at times. Counseling is a growth process through which students are helped to define goals, make decisions, and solve problems related to personal, social, academic, and career concerns. The counseling staff’s primary goal is to alleviate distress and promote healthy functioning by providing short-term counseling services designed to help students resolve personal and educational concerns which may include:
- Adjusting to a new environment
- Relationships with family, friends, romantic partner, or roommate
- Feeling stressed or anxious
- Anger and interpersonal conflicts
- Depression, loneliness, shyness
- Grief and loss
- Self-esteem and self-confidence
- Sexual issues
- Sexual orientation
- Alcohol and drug related problems
- Personal crises
- Difficulties with study skills
- Time Management
- Choices about majors and careers
- Communication with instructors
After Hours / Emergencies
Contact the MVSU Police Department at 662-254-2700