Admission to the Department of Social Work is completed during the student’s sophomore year. Transferring students at junior/senior level must complete this process within the first semester at Mississippi Valley State University. The process requires:
- Admission to Mississippi Valley State University;
- Declaration of social work as a major;
- Completion of 54 semester hours in the general core curriculum;
- Completion of SW 210: Introduction to Social Work;
- Demonstration of an interest and aptitude or a career in social work;
- Submission of social work admission application along with reference lettersand personal statement of goals and experiences; and
- Completion of a successful admission interview with a social work faculty member.
To receive a Bachelor of Social Work Degree, a student must fulfill the following requirements:
Declare social work as a major field of study;
Gain admission to the Department of Social Work;
Complete the general core curriculum earning a minimum grade of "C" in Freshman Composition: EN 101 and EN 102;
Pass required social work courses earning a grade of "C" or better in each major course;
Pass all other courses required by the Department of Social Work; and
Earn cumulative grade point average of not less than 2.00.