Admissions Policies, Requirements and Procedures
Click the link below to download the
Applicants seeking admission to graduate programs at Mississippi Valley State University must be admitted both to the Graduate College and the degree program.
Graduates of regionally accredited institutions in the United States who do not intend to seek an advanced degree from Mississippi Valley State University, but wish to take courses, may register as a non-degree status student. A non-degree student, who subsequently seeks full or restricted admission, must complete an application for admission to the Graduate College and be accepted by a department and the Graduate College for the degree study.
Non-degree students initially granted permission to take graduate courses on a non-degree basis are permitted to take up to nine semester hours of graduate credit. If a student later chooses to undertake a graduate degree program, only nine semester hours taken as a non-degree student may be applied to a program.
To be eligible for admission to the Graduate College, the following requirements must be met:
- An applicant must hold a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
- An application for admission must be filed with the Office of Graduate Studies.
- An official transcript of all college work (undergraduate and graduate) must be obtained from the registrar of each college previously attended.
- A minimum undergraduate cumulative grade point average of 2.50 on a 4.00 grading scale is required for regular graduate degree status.
- Three letters of recommendation from persons in the field of the applicant’s academic major or area of concentration must be supplied. Recommendation letters must be accompanied by university recommendation forms.
- Official scores on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE), Miller Analogies Test or the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) for the College of Business are required.
- The department chair and the dean of the graduate program applied for must recommend admission to the Dean of the Graduate College who must formally accept the student.
- Immunization record must be submitted.
- Personal Statement should be at least two pages typed/double spaced.
Deadline for Admission
Admission to a degree program is made in the fall or spring semester. The deadlines for fall and spring applications are March 15 and September 15, respectively. Applicants for conditional status must meet appropriate admission criteria before registering for classes. This policy applies to both regular semesters and to summer school.
Admission of Undergraduates to Graduate Courses
Senior undergraduate Mississippi Valley State University students who have completed all required courses and are within six hours of graduation may enroll for a minimum of six semester hours of graduate work. To be eligible to take graduate courses, undergraduate students must have a grade point average of at least 2.50 overall and in their major field.
Re-Admissions to the University
Graduate students who withdraw from the University in good standing or who have been suspended for academic deficiencies must apply for re-admission by submitting an application to the Graduate College. Re-admission is not automatic nor does it necessarily reinstate the student. The Graduate Council must approve all applications for re-admission to the Graduate College for students who have been suspended for academic deficiencies.
Students who have previously attended the University and have a break in attendance of one or more terms must file an application for re-admission. Re-admission documents required include an official transcript from each institution attended since leaving MVSU, and, if a degree has been received from another institution, an official transcript showing that degree.
Students must meet the minimum admission standards of the University and be in good standing at all institutions attended since leaving MVSU in order to be eligible for re-admission.
Questions concerning re-admission should be directed to the Graduate College.( 662-254-3439)