The Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLBA) Safeguards Rule requires Mississippi Valley State University (MVSU) to implement safeguards to insure the security and confidentiality of certain non-public customer information. The Safeguards Rule protects certain private information identifiable to individuals that is obtained when the University offers or delivers a financial product or service to them. The University must develop, implement, and maintain a comprehensive information security program containing administrative, technical and physical safeguards that are appropriate based upon the University's size, complexity and the nature of its activities.
- Customer Information is any record containing non-public personal information about a customer of a financial institution, whether in paper, electronic, or other form, that is handled or maintained by or on behalf of the financial institution or its affiliates.
- GLBA applies to customer information obtained in a variety of situations, including:
- Information provided to obtain a financial product or service;
- Information about a customer resulting from any transaction involving a financial product or service between the institution and a customer;
- Information otherwise obtained about a customer in connection with providing a financial product or service to the customer.
- Non-Public Personal Information means personally identifiable financial information that is:
- Provided by a consumer to a financial institution;
- Resulting from any transaction with the consumer or any service performed for the consumer; or
- Otherwise obtained by the financial institution.
- The term also includes any list, description, or other grouping of consumers and publicly available information pertaining to them that is derived using any personally identifiable financial information that is not publicly available.
- Examples of Non-public Personal Information (NPI) Include:
- Social Security number (SSN)
- Financial account numbers
- Credit card numbers
- Date of birth
- Name, address, and phone numbers when collected with financial data
- Details of any financial transactions