Jump to navigation
- To provide all students in the University with basic courses in composition and world literature;
- To prepare students for a teaching career in middle and high schools;
- To prepare students for graduate study in English and related fields;
- To develop in students analytical and communication abilities in the study of languages and literature; and
- To develop skills in foreign languages.
Objectives of English Graduates:
- The student will perform the fundamentals of literary research and employ the appropriate tools available to students as seekers of textual knowledge:
- Locate appropriate sources
- Evaluate resources
- Synthesize information from various sources
- Integrate the information from sources into composition
- The student should be able to compose a coherent, well-written essay
- The student will demonstrate understanding of the cultural values and the deeper understanding of human nature and its attendant ethical perplexities that literary study invites.
Objectives of English Education Graduates:
- The English education major should be able to recognize and utilize successful teaching strategies in the teaching of English as a discipline.
- The student should be able to demonstrate an awareness of multi-cultural and diversity in a variety of texts.
- The student should be able to reflect upon their own academic artifacts and evaluate their improvement and their current skills level.