Mississippi Valley State University

July 26, 2016


Federal and State Grants

Grants are the most attractive form of financial aid since they do not have to be repaid (unless you withdraw from school and owe a refund). All federal grants are awarded to students with financial need. The amount of a Federal Pell Grant depends on your cost of attendace, expected family contribution, enrollment status (full or part time) and whether you attend for a full academic year or less. The amount of other grant awards depend on your financial need. 

There are several types of federal student aid (FSA) grants available to students at the university. 

  •            Federal Pell Grant
  •            Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant
  •            State Grants

1. Federal Pell Grant (PELL)

The PELL Grant is a major source of financial aid used to help pay college expenses

and is the foundation of federal student financial aid to which aid from other federal

and non-federal sources might be added. Pell Grants are awarded to eligible undergraduate students seeking a bachelor’s degree. A student must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to be considered. The Pell Grant amount is based on the Expected Family Contribution (EFC) calculated from the processing of their financial aid application. At Mississippi Valley State University, the PELL grant is used as the base aid to build a student’s scholarship award. For more information please visit:


2.Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

 The FSEOG is a grant that is offered in addition to the PELL grant to undergraduate students with exceptional financial need. Grant awards range from $100 - $4,000 a year. The amount of the award is determined by the availability of funds. The FSEOG award is contingent upon funding each academic year. For more information please visit:


3. State Grants

The State of Mississippi has several grant and scholarship/loan programs available to students who attend a recognized college or university in the State.  Students attending the university should consider the eligibility requirements of the state funded financial aid programs. 

Mississippi Tuition Assistance Grant (MTAG)
Mississippi Eminent Scholars Grant (MESG)
Critical Needs Teacher Loan/Scholarship Program (CNTP)
Graduate Teacher Loan/Scholarship (GTS)
Higher Education Legislative Plan for Needy Students (HELP)
Summer Development Grant
William Winter Teacher Scholar/Loan Program (WWTS)

Requirements, applications and deadlines for each program can be accessed at the State Office of Financial Aid (http://www.mississippi.edu/riseupms/financialaid.php) or you may call 1-800-327-2980 or 601-432-6997.