Mississippi Valley State University’s Sustainability Initiative's RecycleMania competition kicked off on Sunday, February 3. The competition continues through March 27.
Each week, RecycleMania standings are posted online at http://recyclemaniacs.org/scoreboard to help motivate campuses to continue recycling.
For details and questions, call Mrs. LaFecia Hoover at 254.3098 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
RecycleMania is an 8-week recycling competition with more than 500 colleges and universities competing against each institution's recycling program. This is our first year competing in the benchmark areas of paper, plastic and cardboard.
The main goal of the event is to increase student awareness of campus recycling and waste minimization. All participating schools are required to report measurements on a weekly basis in pounds. During the 8-week period, campuses compete in different contests to see which institution can collect the largest amount of recyclables per capita, the largest amount of total recyclables, the least amount of trash per capita, or have the highest recycling rate.
While the university encourages recycling throughout the year, all faculty, staff and students are strongly encouraged to reduce, reuse and recycle during the annual RecycleMania competition to re-emphasize the importance of reducing landfill waste and to help MVSU defeat fellow schools.
Here is a list of acceptable recyclable items:
- Clean no. 1-2 plastic bottles, tubs and containers. No plastic bags, pesticide or motor oil containers, Styrofoam, microwavable or food trays.
- Aluminum cans – not crushed or flattened.
- Newspapers and newspaper inserts – no plastic bags
- Magazines, catalogs, phone books and books
- Opened junk mail and envelopes
- Office paper – Mixed, Astrobright or carbon paper
- Paperboard – cereal and clothing boxes and egg cartons
- Cardboard boxes