Mississippi Valley State University

April 20, 2014

Facilities

The Department of Natural Sciences and Environmental Health is located in the two-story complex of Fielding L. Wright and the Old Classroom Building which houses the Sciences and Computer and Mathematics. The Old Classroom part of the building was constructed in 1951 and renovated in 1994-95. The Fielding L. Wright part of the complex was constructed in 1967, occupied in 1969, and renovated in 1995-96. The part of the complex devoted to science instruction and research is 47,506 square feet. A technology support and learning center for science and mathematics majors, faculty-staff lounge/conference room, and storage area are available to the science faculty, staff, and students.

There are five teaching laboratories shared by biology and environmental health. Research is conducted in faculty research laboratories and in the laboratory preparation-research room. Additional research facilities include the greenhouse and the animal holding facility, a photographic darkroom, a research pond, and an outdoor science laboratory. The chemistry program has four teaching laboratories for general chemistry, organic chemistry, analytical and physical chemistry and two research laboratories. The physics facility consists of two laboratories combined with the outdoor instrumentation for photovoltaics research.

There are two laboratories for the Physical Sciences: Chemical Analysis Laboratory, Environmental Analysis Laboratory and one Bioinformatics Laboratory.